Followers

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Key to my Heart

Good day friends,


Sakura Hobby Crafts is having a design team call here and although I do not own any 3D crystal lacquer I decided to experiment a bit with something else.  You all know me, I will try anything new.  I just love to create and be crafty in so many different ways.  Although I am currently addicted to my scrapbooking and cardmaking, I've been a jewelry creator since I was a child.  My Opa (grandpa) owned a Kiosk (store) in Germany and while I was growing up he allowed me to sell my jewelry creations in his store.  I used to make bracelets, necklaces and earrings and hang them up in the window for all his customers to see.  People from the neighborhood even asked for special orders.  It was a great confidence booster for a kid.  I really thought I would grow up to be a jewelry designer.  I did design for a short period of time, but life got in the way of that.  


This is what I did...


I cut out a heart shape out of white Creative Paperclay and you can find more information on it here.  



Then I embedded a key into the paperclay and let it dry a bit.  


Then I added the dimensional stuff that I do own and covered the entire piece.  I let it run off the sides so that everything would be coated nicely.  If you are going to attempt something like this, make sure you have a piece of waxpaper or something that the dimension will not stick to under your piece.



I also added some cranberry alcohol ink to the top of the dimensional and it spread like wildfire.  SO COOL!!!


This is what it looks like when it pools...so fun to see.  Some spots get darker in areas, but it's fun to experiment.


Then I added just a touch of glitter to the top of the dimensional to give it some glitz.


I let the piece dry overnight and added a jump ring and a chain and you have a very cool charm.  



The other thing I like about using paperclay for some of my jewelry is that it is lightweight and doesn't get too heavy.  Especially for earrings because they can get heavy on your earlobes and I've even seen some so stretched out it looks as if it hurts to wear big bulky earrings.


So anyway, I hope you like my little tutorial on how to create jewelry with some dimension lacquer and paperclay.  I will have to get out and get me some 3d crystal lacquer.  This was a lot of fun!!!

4 comments:

  1. Brenda what an awesome creation. Thank You for the tutorial.
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia S V
    http://cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda, what an awesome charm...love it. FABULOUS! ~Shen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW this is Bee-U-Tee-Ful Brenda!! I love the rustic-antique look of it.

    Precious Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous charm, Brenda! Thank you so much for the instructions. It makes me want to run out and buy some paper clay.

    Kelly
    http://kellyscraftylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

My favorites have this to say