Followers

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Krylon Paint and old table

Here is a relook at the table I made using my Krylon Dual Paint and Primer and something new so make sure you read on if you've already seen this post.

I have been so busy creating lately.  I have loved all my projects, but this one I am most proud of as of right now.  I was approached by Infarrantly Creative and Krylon to see if I would be interested in doing a project for them using a new product, Paint and Primer in one can.  Well, duh, of course.  Hahaha  I will try ALMOST anything.  I was allowed to pick two colors of this new Paint and Primer spray paint.  I chose red and blue of course. 

I started with this table.  When we bought our house 10 years ago, my inlaws bought us this table and chair set for our downstairs patio.  It was gorgeous when we first got it and I love wood so this was a perfect fit for us.  As you can see, 10 years of outdoor living has taken it's toll on this poor set, but I didn't want to get rid of it either.  I knew, someday I could do something with it. 
and wound up with this:
Isn't it just gorgeous:
This is how I did it:
I first disassembled the table by unscrewing all the slats from the metal legs.  The wood was a bit rotted in places, so when I painted it the red paint really soaked into the wood.
 I had to use 2 coats to get a proper coverage of the paint, but it is well worth it.

Then I painted the bottom rung and the metal legs.  I only needed 1 coat for each of these items.  The metal took very well and the wooden rung covered nicely also. 
After I let it dry for 25 minutes I sprayed a white spray paint also made by Krylon (had some left over from a previous project).  I let that also dry for about 20 minutes.
 Then I cut a star out of some vinyl and when I was sure the paint was really good and dry I placed the cut ontop of the white and used a strip to avoid spraying onto the red.  I placed the slats as far apart as they would be when the table is reassembled.
 I then used the blue spray paint to paint over the vinyl cut star.
 I let that dry for about 20 minutes also.
 I reassembled the table
 and this is it.  I am so in love with my new table.  I can't wait to do my chairs now also.  I used 1 can of each color and still have about half of a can of the blue left over.  The red is almost used up, but I think it's a very affortable project and the color really look great.  All in all this project probably took me about 2 hours.  Cool huh?


Now, we all know you can never have too many light sets right?  I know I can't, but they can get pretty costly and I love to make things so I made my own 4th of July light set.

First I cut stars out of some cleaned soda cans and some plastic containers.


I forgot to take pictures of the soda can stars, but I used the same method as I did for the plastic
You can cut them very easily with tin snips or even kitchen scissors (that's what I used)
I also spray painted the plate here and that's another project in itself so stay tuned...
Then I ran them both through my cuddlebug and embossed them with the "stars" cuddlebug folder.

Then I spray painted both sides of the stars.  Litterally in 20 minutes I was able to flip them over and paint the other side.  This paint dries so fast and it only took one coat each side.  Both the soda cans and the plastic took very well to the paint.
These are the soda can stars
Soda can stars
Plastic Stars
Plastic Stars

After the stars were completely dried, I sanded a bit of the paint off the soda cans to give it a bit of an aged look.  The plastic stars I kept as they were; no sanding.
These turned out awesome
I punched a hole in each star with my Crop-a-Dile II right in the center and put them on a string of lights.  Don't they look fantastic?  I even tried some clear ones and they are ok, but I do love the painted ones
Soda can stars
Plastic Star
 Plastic clear star
 Soda can star
Combination of soda can stars and plastic stars.  

Just think of the possibilities for Christmas (trees), Halloween (pumpkins), Valentines Day (Hearts), and the list goes on and on.  Wow, I can't wait for the next holiday to come along.

Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think and tell me which ones you like the best:  
Soda Can, Plastic or clear plastic.

20 comments:

  1. Wow, big difference in that old table. I love seeing projects like this. You did an excellent job on it. Are you thinking of putting a spray sealer over the top of it now so it will keep the longest?

    Smiles Sher
    ShersL84bed@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Mary!!! That table looks terrific!!! Didn't realize you were the handy-man crafty crafter too!!! LOL!!!

    Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new/old table!! What a wonderful idea to give it that Americana look. Post the chairs when you are finished, TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great table! I absolutely love it! I would never thought of that. You rocked that spray paint girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an awesome job Brenda. The table looks amazing. I can't wait to see the chairs. Great job with the tutorial. You are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome, I love it!! I can't wait to see the chairs, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Brenda that looks awesome! Can I borrow you? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it! Say---are you from TEXAS???? That looks like OUR flag (minus the white missing). Why did you have to disassemble it to paint it? was it because it was a SPRAY? I seem to paint everything with a brush...not the fastest,but I like getting to every nook and cranny. I just finished staining my entire fence...in this 100 degree heat! (in texas)

    ReplyDelete
  9. VERY COOL Project--you did an awesome job, (must be the time of year, that seems to be my life at the moment too, creative projects)!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, wow, wow! Those are some amazing projects, Brenda! I love them.

    Kelly
    http://kellyscraftylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The stars are awesome. I bet the whole string of lights looks awesome. So creative. I can't wait to see what else you make. I think I like the soda can ones the best, but they all look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great projects! I am inspired for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brenda, these are very neat projects! I'm really interested in your stars! I like both of them. I think I would like to give it a try, I'm not getting the soda can stars though! I think both on one string would be good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the second blog post I've seen using this product in the past couple of days and I love it ! I have a couple of things I really want to try this on. Thanks for sharing. Your table turned out great !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your table and the stars are great. I like both of them! Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The table is darling! I have an old wood bench I'll have to shoot (!). Love the lights. What a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful job! I adore it! I became a follower.

    ~Amanda @ creatingamongstboys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. great job! I want to try some of this dual spray paint!!! Thank you for linking up last week at Sew Woodsy! Please come back tomorrow and link up your most recent project!

    ReplyDelete

My favorites have this to say