Followers

Sunday, February 22, 2015

You are Beautiful - Jewelry Holder

Good day crafters,

Today I want to show you a project I've been meaning to make for a while now.  I took inspiration from a plaque I made my son a couple of years ago and tweaked it a bit.  This is a very heavy picture post so let's get started ...

My first idea was that I wanted to use up some of my never ending resin pieces.  Every time I create a piece using my Amazing Casting Products that I've molded I seem to mix more Amazing Casting resin than is necessary and thus I create more and more pieces. So I have an abundance of pieces in a 12 x 12 container just waiting to be used up.

I started out with a board that measures 6 x 18, perfect size for my project (or so I thought).  We will get to that later.  I gessoed it and then washed it with blue acrylic paint to give it an old feel.  My bathroom is blue and thus I wanted it to match the decor.



I had purchased a silver oval mirror a the Dollar Tree for whatever reason and decided to use it for this project.  I wish I had taken a picture of it without the painters tape, but I think you get the idea.  Using my Alumilite powders in Copper and Gold I dusted the entire mirror and sprayed it with hairspray and then heat set it.  This may or may not be necessary, but I don't like leaving anything to chance.  Love the new look.


Then I also wanted to etch "You are beautiful" so out comes my Dollar Tree Shelf liner, my cricut and my SCAL program.  



While that was setting up I chose my favorite resin pieces and hooks.  You can go HERE and see how I made these hooks.

I found my placement for the hooks and screwed them into place.  After all my hooks were screwed in I used my E6000 to attach the resin pieces onto the hooks and let that sit over night.




I also attached my mirror using the E6000.  I cannot live without this stuff!
After letting everything set up over night I added my hangers to the back of the plaque.  I did not purchase anything for this project except the mirror, which I technically already had.  With that said, I repurposed some pop tabs for the hangers and screwed them into the back of the wood piece.  RECYCLE or REUSE!


I also used some wire that I had laying around to attach to the pop tabs and because the plaque is lightweight it wont have any problem hanging.

Now here comes by problem from earlier in the post.

I took my finished piece upstairs to my bathroom where I was going to hang it instead of this monstrosity.  


I wanted to reclaim my towel rack and move it to another location.  What a mess huh?  But guess what?  The plaque was too long to hang here.  Ugh, now what?

Well I improvised and hung it under a shelf above the toilet.  Not the ideal spot, but seriously, my bathroom is so small I have no other "wall" to hang it.  So much for the mirror in a great location!  However, I still love it!  Be aware, the rest of the post is picture heavy ...


Key hook on the left side of the board, I can hang rings on the key sticking up.


My skeleton hook on the right side, I can hang rings on the finger...lol


left side


right side



here you can see the etching of the mirror better.  
So love how this came together.

all put together, but wasted space under the mirror? 


ha, the mirror has tiny holes so I threaded my earrings throw there also.



 It also matches this mosaic tray I made many, many years ago and I didn't even try that.



And now I've reclaimed my towel rack.  But now I also remember why I used it as a jewelry holder to begin with.  Not much room for towels....LOL

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial today and as always,
have a great day and God Bless!



No comments:

Post a Comment

My favorites have this to say