Remember my post from a couple of weeks back over at Amazing Mold Putty of my bone necklace. You can view it HERE if you missed it. Remember also how I said that the necklace was a failure because they didn't lay right since they had a flat surface? Well, I fixed that by rebuilding.
I molded the skull with the mold putty
I drew a line in the mold with a a sharpie so all of my skulls would be the same height
and some just white
I glued all my cured pieces onto a charger with E6000 and I wanted to make the center of the plate a chalkboard
I also rubbed some vaseline here and there which will allow my to rub off the paint in certain areas easily
After the pieces were all glued down and cured I proceeded to paint the charger with the chalkboard paint.
Believe it or not, I added at LEAST 8 coats of the chalkboard paint and it still wouldn't take the chalk on. I'm not sure what went wrong or why it happened, but I could not get my chalk to write on the charger. I got pretty disgusted and was about to throw in the towel, when I came up with another solution...VINYL! Duh!!!
Since I was giving this as a gift to my tattoo artist, I pulled up his business card,
imported it into my SCAL and had an exact match of lettering
I love how the red strikes onto that black charger.
You can also see where the vaseline rubbed the paint off nicely.
I even "scratched" some areas, just to rough it up a bit more!
My tattoo artist LOVES it! In fact, even his boss liked it and took the plate from him and displayed
it in the front of the store on a shelf and said Jason could "visit" it anytime he wanted.
So, see, even if something doesn't work out there is always a solution to recreate an idea.
I hope you liked my post today and hope to see you again real soon.
As always, have a great day and God Bless!