Followers

Monday, March 18, 2013

Hair Jewelry

Good morning,

I've got a quick tutorial for you today about hair jewelry, ie barrettes.  I've had short hair for quite a while and I've been letting it grow again.  Hubby likes long hair, (like most men), but I hate the upkeep.  My hair is naturally curly and very thick so it takes a lot to keep it tame.  Actually when my hair is really long I have to get a perm just to keep it tame, otherwise it's all over the place.  It's also very coarse, so I use A LOT of product in my hair.  I usually keep it in a ponytail or braid it when it's long, which in my eyes, defeats the purpose of having long hair because it's always up.  Oh well...hubby likes it long and sometimes I just have to please him.

I also like to wear barrettes and combs and other hair things so I decided to make some barrettes myself. I actually saw this tutorial somewhere while ago and I cannot for the life of me remember where, so if you've seen it or know who's tutorial this is, please let me know so I can give her credit.  She did an amazing job with the making of the pieces, I just added them to the bobbi pins to make barrettes.

So this is how you get started.  First you will need a hotglue gun, bobbipins, loose beads, stringed beads, a circle punch (a bit smaller than your finished piece) and some cardstock (you could use felt too) 
First glue your loose beads together with your hotglue gun in a circle 
I anchored my first bead directly on my mat and hotglued the rest of the beads around it 
to form this.  It lifted off of my mat easily. 
Then I cut the stringed beads (you can get these in the 
wedding aisle of your craft store) in 5 bead length. 
and hot glued them between the beads. 
see, easy, very easy. 
Then I hotglued an accent bead to the middle of the entire piece.
Next punch two circles from your cardstock or cut 2 smaller circles from felt. 
I hotglued one circle to the backside of the piece.
(No, my fingers aren't dirty, they are stained from a previous project.  
Cannot get the stain off for nothing)
Then I placed the second circle between the bobbipin and hotglued it to the finished piece. 
I've had these in my hair about a dozen times now and they've held up very well.
Love the look... 
I even made some black, white and red ones.

I hope you enjoyed my quick Hair Jewelry tutorial and hope to see you back here soon.
As always, have a great day and God Bless.

1 comment:

My favorites have this to say