Followers

Monday, August 17, 2015

#Cre8time Dream Star and chalk paint

Good moring crafties!

I'm so excited to share my post and I hope you enjoy reading all about it my off the cuff project.

I've seen these 3d stars everywhere and have always wanted to make some, 
but for whatever reason haven't attempted it until NOW!
I've been stalking pintrest like crazy lately and found some tutorials on how to make them.  
Well duh, how easy peasy.  So let's get started 


Using my cricut of course I cut 2 stars 6 x 6 from some thin chipboard.
If you don't have a cutting machine of any kind you can cut them by hand, 
just make sure they are identical cuts.


Then using my scoreboard I scored lines from point to end all the way around the star.


Now you want those valleys and peaks, so fold alternating.
Do that to both stars.


Now I glued them together with hot glue.  
That seemed to be the best solution.


I just added hot glue to a point and ran a bead down and mashed the star together.
It's a bit tricky, but you can do it!  Just be careful because they don't call it hot glue for nothing!


Now I did want my star to look distressed so I added some petroleum jelly 
to the tops so that the paint wouldn't stick to the entire star.


Now while I was on pintrest I also found a recipe for making my own chalkpaint.  
I used 2 ounces of unsanded grout, some acrylic paint and HOT water to give it a smoothness.


and started to paint.  
While it took to the chipboard I wondered if I should have gessoed it!


So I did the other side.


and then painted it.


gessoed


natural chipboard.
I did sand both sides a little with an emery board.  Chalkpaint is a bit unusual.

But, I like them both!


I did wind up using the natural side for my piece.
Then I added a bit of stencil cream in brown and green to give it an aged patina look.


I used the same chalkpaint on a small canvas piece, 
stenciled some green around, rubbed brown around the edges.
I cut the word Dream with my cricut from vinyl and dug in my never ending box of resin pieces 
(made with my Amazing Casting Products)
to find this elephant and fleur de lis, just because, and glued them to the outer edges.


Doesn't this star look fabulous?
The chalkpaint did flake a little while I was sanding it,
but I love the look of vintage, shabby chic that it gives it.


And now it sits proudly on my headboard!

Whew, that was a lot for one post, but I'm over the top thrilled with my newest project.
I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have and would love to hear your thoughts!  Leave me a comment and let me know what you would dream up if you could craft anything in the world.

As always, have a great day and God Bless.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My favorites have this to say