Followers

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Butterfly pick

Good morning fellow crafters,


I know I haven't been the best blogger lately but I am trying to keep up with a busy work schedule and manage some family time and now I am getting ready for my daughter's baby shower...yup my daughter is expecting her second child in a little more than I month and I am so excited for that event.  I am in charge of her baby shower and I wanted to make it special and use my own creations instead of buying them.  Today I am going to show you the first of a few things I am making.  Her theme for baby Alexis (isn't that a pretty name?) is butterflies and fairies and today I am showing you what I did for the butterflies.


I had a stamp of a butterfly that I absolutely love and decided I wanted to see if I could make a mold of it and make it as beautiful as the stamp is.  Of course using the Amazing Mold putty I pressed the stamp into it and let it cure for about 5 minutes.  Then pressing my Creative Paperclay® into the mold and since I tend to let my clay stay in the mold and dry overnight the underside was still a bit wet when I took it out of the mold.  I took it out of the mold gently and just let it dry to it's fullest.  The reason I leave my clay in the molds to dry is so I won't distort the clay before it has had time to dry at least a bit.  After it has completely dried I took my dremel tool with a sanding bit and shaped all the rough edges and try to get as much detail as possible.  You can use sandpaper or even an emery board as I used to until hubby bought the dremel for me.  This cuts down on time for me.
Then I painted the piece.  I used plum acrylic paint and I filled the crevices
with dimension medium and sprinkled pink glitter on top of that for glitz.
(I wish the picture were better because
it really is gorgeous in real life)

Using my dremel again I bored a hole into the back of the
butterfly and hot glued a bamboo skewer into it.
This was so easy to make and I can decorate them
in any color to match any decor.
I hope you can get a chance to get yourself some Creative Paperclay® and make your own decorations.  There are so many things you can make with it and you can purchase it at Hobby Lobby, Michaels and online here.  

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love this! You know I love working with clay and molds...lol!!!

    ReplyDelete

My favorites have this to say